Saturday, July 19, 2008

Eh, Tsunami Shhm-unami....

Where do you go when a 7.0 (and 5.0) earthquake hits a couple hundred miles south of you? Drive closer to it and go the beach! Heck yeah!

Okay, so the earthquake hit while we were already on our way there, and now we know what the Japanese guy kept saying over and over again on the loud speaker. But we watched and nobody else was running away screaming, everyone was swimming, so all looked okay. And it was. It was really, really okay! Quite lovely actually.

We spent the first half of our Saturday at "Swimmer's Beach" about an hour south of Misawa.

The beach was lined with great little shacks selling yummy food and beach toys, hats, etc. I went to one to try to buy a shovels and pails for the boys and I was 30 yen (30 cents-ish) short as all of my money was back on the beach and the ladies sold it to me anyway - cause the Japanese are awesome like that. Then, to shove their awesome-ness in my face even more, when I came back later with the 30 yen I was short, they wouldn't take my money, and then gave the boys free french fries. They just had to show off and one up my good deed :)

I tell ya what though, L's blonde hair & blue eyes gets him (and us) REALLY, REALLY far in this country.

No comments: